Red Cabbage with Apple
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 small head red cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute onion and apple until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in reserved bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 131 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Oct 20, 2017
My husband and I both loved this with the Easy Sauerbraten and Crumb-Coated Spaetzle. It was not really sweet at all, but the flavors all went together nicely.
Sep 30, 2016
Did not really care for this dish. Guess I was expecting a sweeter taste and I doubled the sugar, too. Bacon saved the dish for me. I only used 1/2 head of cabbage because I harvested a head right from my garden and it was rather large. Will go back to my other red cabbage recipe.
Oct 10, 2014
Very good!! My husband didn't care for it but then there was just a bit more for me!! I am hosting the Thanksgiving family gathering this year and will opt to include this dish as one of the sides!! I come home well after the dinner hour some work days and have to admit I just warm some up and make a meal of it!!
Mar 22, 2010
This is excellent! My family has added it as a must have dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Jan 18, 2009
This became a family favorite from day one!
Oct 29, 2008
Very quick to make, I even ate it cold and it was delicious!