This is a variation of a recipe my mom used to make. I changed a few things so it's easier to prepare. My whole family enjoys this hearty main dish. —Patricia Kron, Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups diced peeled rutabagas
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, cook rutabagas and potatoes in boiling salted water just until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion and celery until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Add rutabagas, potatoes, steak sauce, salt and pepper.
- Line a 9-in. pie pan with bottom pastry. Fill with rutabaga mixture. Top with remaining pastry; flute edges and cut slits in top.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 394 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 692mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Rutabaga Pie in Country October/November 1996
Feb 26, 2017
Excellent, as a former MN and WI resident this really gave me a hearty taste of home.
Jul 11, 2015
I keep forgetting how good rutabagas are. This recipes makes a nice filling dinner and doesn't take much fussing. A tossed salad rounds it out.