Chicken Noodle Soup with Rutabaga
Our Test Kitchen simmered up a winner with this warm and welcoming, full-flavored soup. It’s colorful, packed with wintry root vegetables and goes together in a flash!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium rutabaga (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked yolk-free noodles
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the broth, rutabaga, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add noodles; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or until noodles are tender. Stir in the chicken and parsley; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 211 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Chicken Noodle Soup with Root Vegetables in Light & Tasty February/March 2007