Rutabaga Carrot Casserole
This scoop-able side with its sweet, crunchy topping makes a delightful alternative to the traditional sweet potato casserole. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Place rutabaga in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes, adding the carrots during the last 5 minutes of cooking; drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the rutabaga mixture with egg, brown sugar, butter, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Stir in rice and milk. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until bubbly, 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 249 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Originally published as Rutabaga-Carrot Combo in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.