Scalloped Carrots Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 12 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In another saucepan, saute onion in 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour, salt, mustard, celery salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer half of the carrots, cheese and white sauce. Repeat layers. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread cubes. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 430 calories, 29g fat (19g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 5, 2016
Umm,Umm good ! Made this for a family gathering. Some attending didn't like carrots however, I convinced them to try it. Needless to say, They all loved it. I had to make several copies of the receipe , even for the ones that "didn't like carrots". This casserole is bound to be served often at my house.
Jun 11, 2015
This was absolutely delicious! I had this in my recipe box for a while now and recently made it. Why did I wait so long?!?!? I can see making this many more times in the future.
Aug 28, 2014
Wanted to try this casserole but was in a super hurry so here are the changes I made:I used half of a medium onion sauteed in 1/4 of butter and:I used two envelopes of White Sauce Mix and prepared according to package directions but added the ground mustard and only an 1/8 of a teaspoon of celery salt and added an 1/8 of a teaspoon celery seed. I also used croutons instead of bread cut into cubes.Next time I will use french fried onion rings for a different flavor twist topping.Even with my changes this was super good!
Mar 28, 2012
one word..WOW... I am so upset I had not found this receipe a long time ago. It is so so so good. We ate it for days. I am so excited to bring it to Easter to share with my family
Feb 27, 2011
this is very addicting...scrumptious!!
Feb 5, 2010
I used 2% milk and 2% milk cheddar cheese.
Aug 11, 2008
This is a wonderful recipe!