Scalloped Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 14 slices day-old whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a skillet, saute onions, celery, green pepper, carrots and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add chicken, cheeses, mayonnaise and parsley. Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken mixture and remaining bread.
- In a bowl, beat eggs; add milk, soup and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over casserole. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 263 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 26, 2014
We really liked this recipe! We did make a few changes. We are not fond of mayo, so we used low-fat sour cream instead. We also did not have cheddar cheese, so we used all mozzarella instead. It was a bit more moist than we wanted. We will probably try a little less milk next time. Still, all-in-all, a great dinner. Even better, our four-year-old son liked it :)