Scalloped Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 14 slices day-old whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a skillet, saute onions, celery, green pepper, carrots and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add chicken, cheeses, mayonnaise and parsley. Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken mixture and remaining bread.
- In a bowl, beat eggs; add milk, soup and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over casserole. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 263 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
May 26, 2014
We really liked this recipe! We did make a few changes. We are not fond of mayo, so we used low-fat sour cream instead. We also did not have cheddar cheese, so we used all mozzarella instead. It was a bit more moist than we wanted. We will probably try a little less milk next time. Still, all-in-all, a great dinner. Even better, our four-year-old son liked it :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.