Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 loaf white bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups cracker crumbs, divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushroom, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, combine bread cubes and 1 cup cracker crumbs. Stir in broth, eggs, salt, celery, onion, chicken and mushrooms. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. casserole. In a saucepan, melt butter; brown remaining cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 314 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 1115mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Nov 7, 2011
This dish was a huge disappointment for me. I added hot sauce, garlic, and cheese for additional flavor but it still turned out quite lackluster. The biggest turnoff is the texture, which is gummy and disgusting. It took me a lot of time to prepare and bake this dish and I certainly expected more. I would never serve this to anyone or make it again. What a waste of time and money!
Mar 5, 2010
My family enjoyed this recipe. I added 1 tsp. poultry seasoning and 1/4 tsp. pepper. I would make this dish again.
Dec 18, 2009
This was terrible. Very bland. Kinda like eating hospital food. My husband never complains if he doesn't like something. He just coats it with Ranch dressing. Needless to say this was coated in Ranch...
Nov 12, 2009
My kids loved this recipe and they enjoyed mashing up the crackers in the sandwich bag :)
Feb 28, 2008
My family and I consider this recipe the ultimate comfort food. I usually add a few frozen peas and diced carrots. It's one of the recipes that both of my sons requested for their own cookbooks when they moved away from home.