Scalloped Sweet Corn Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed bread
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup Rice Krispies, slightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in corn, evaporated milk, 3/4 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring just to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture; return to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, pepper and the remaining sugar and salt until blended. Stir in bread, onion and corn mixture. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square or 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes. In a small bowl, toss Rice Krispies with melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole, reserving Rice Krispies topping for baking; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 258 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 9, 2018
I followed the recipe exactly with one exception. I substituted corn bread for regular bread because one review complained they did not like the bread. I felt the corn bread might alleviate this. This dish remains overwhelmed with bread & underwhelmed with corn for our taste. I probably will not make this again.
Aug 2, 2016
I followed the directions exactly. We did not like the bread in this dish. It was not real tasty. I have used Southern Living's Tee's Corn Pudding for years but thought I would try this. Very disappointing!
Dec 18, 2014
FYI...1 small onion is about 4 oz or 1/2 cup. I go easy on the onion and like just enough to lend flavor! ....thanks for trying my recipe. I enjoy reading comments so please submit a review!
Dec 10, 2014
This was easy to prepare, just a few ingredients and very tasty. Corn casserole is a staple in the Midwest but our West Coast dinner guests had never tasted it before.
Nov 17, 2014
I cut the recipe in thirds and baked the corn casserole in two ramekins. I used 2% milk in place of evaporated milk because I didn't have any on hand. I served it with egg noodles and BBQ veggie chicken strips. Delicious. Thank you, Lonnie, for sharing your family recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.