Scalloped Cabbage Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 8 cups thinly sliced cabbage (2-2-1/2 pounds)
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded process American cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place 1 in. of water, cabbage and carrots in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute the onion in 3 tablespoons of butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; cook until bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened.
- Drain cabbage and carrots; place half in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the sauce; sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add the crumbs, marjoram and thyme; cook and stir until lightly browned. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and the top is browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 193 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Sep 18, 2016
Easy to throw together; only change was I used shredded cheddar. Awesome way to use up cabbage in a new way-we really liked this. I'll be making again. Herbs and breadcrumbs on top are a must.
Nov 6, 2013
I gave it four because I need more substance in my food. I think this would be amazing with a little cooked shredded chicken as a layer. It was much better than I thought it would be. I agree it would be nice to halve it as my two person family is not going to finish this in one go. In future I would smother the top in bread crumbs, and I used cheddar which I would do again.
Feb 12, 2013
In response to comment posted Nov. 27, 2012, you might try *halving* recipe, so you can enjoy it more often!
Nov 27, 2012
We really enjoyed this dish, but we both thought the leftovers tasted rather odd. Since there are just two of us, I would only make this when I'm having guests.
Mar 22, 2011
Even my finicky 87 year old mother loved this one--quite an accomplishment for any recipe that was not one of her own!
Nov 22, 2010
My family liked this recipe. It was nice to have something different for a side dish besides potatoes.
Mar 7, 2010
I used colby and jack cheese instead of the american cheese and left out the carrots...it was great. This is a great way to fix cabbage!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.