Chorizo Scalloped Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2-1/2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat until meat is fully cooked; drain. Place chorizo on several layers of paper towel; blot with additional paper towels.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, onion and chorizo. Repeat layers.
- In a small saucepan, combine the broth, cream cheese, cream and salt. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until liquid is reduced to about 1-1/2 cups. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup Mexican cheese blend until melted. Pour over chorizo.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with remaining Mexican cheese blend. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 508 calories, 37g fat (19g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 1211mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 16, 2016
This was so easy and so delicious! Thinking of making again for one of our Easter Brunch entrees.
Feb 23, 2014
Flavor good but overpowered by to many potatoes. I would cut the amount in half.
Apr 19, 2013
This was WONDERFUL! And so EASY! A creative and tasty way to use chorizo. Used what I had on hand: 2% milk subbed for the whipping cream and sharp cheddar for the Mexican blend cheese. It worked out just fine and we didn't miss the added calories at all-made no difference in the outcome. It wasn't soupy at all, just a nice and creamy sauce. I must admit, I added one extra cup of cheese between the layers. No 2-1/2 quart casserole on hand, so I just used a 9x13 pan. Potatoes were perfectly done in 1 hour. Hubby & son went back for seconds and thirds and finished off the whole pan! They all said to make this again, and SOON! Served with a mixed, tossed salad. PERFECT! Thanks so much for posting this yummy recipe!