Garlic-Mashed Rutabagas & Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium rutabagas, peeled and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup warm buttermilk
- Place potatoes, rutabagas and garlic in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding butter, salt, pepper and enough buttermilk to reach desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 220 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 7g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 23, 2014
I like rutabagas but I prefer them mashed with brown sugar and the potatoes separate.
Jan 7, 2014
I've never used rutabagas before and the addition was yummy! I will definitely make this dish again!
Dec 4, 2013
This was my first time to cook a rutabaga. The dish was good, but I think I prefer regular mashed potatoes over these. But I am glad I tried and encourage others to try as well.Field Editor since July, 2013
Nov 30, 2013
Made this for Thanksgiving. I used turnips instead. I also fried bacon and used the dripping too !!!! Very Good !!!!!