Apple Kuchen Bars
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, divided
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 2 cups flour and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add 1 cup butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs. Press mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon over crust. Place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over apples. Bake 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 240 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 9, 2019
This is one of my family's favorite fall treats . . . or anytime of year! I follow the recipe exactly
Nov 15, 2018
I made this a couple weeks ago and it was delicious. I have a couple questions...can this be put together in advance and then baked on the day you need it? Also, can the bottom crust be mixed up and rolled out to use as regular pie dough, like for a pumpkin pie? The bottom crust was awesone!
Nov 13, 2018
I came across this dessert by accident, thinking this is what my great-grandmother use to make. It was not, however—This dessert was delicious! It has replaced our past go-to fall apple dessert. At first when baking just the crust I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, but the finished product was sweet and flavorful. When warm we served it with vanilla ice cream but was delicious cold, too. Fit nicely in a 9x13 pan, if needed for a crowd I would double it up—it goes a long way. This is a keeper!
Nov 8, 2017
THIS recipe is my new "go to" apple dessert. It's just as good as grandmas but it's a little more modernized for the busier lifestyle of today!!! Great base, very flakey crust, awesome apple middle!!! Plop some ice cream on it! It's simply just about brilliant. Great job to whomever won every state fair back in the day!! ??
Nov 6, 2017
Just Ok for me. I found the bottom crust to be too think for my liking.
Nov 8, 2016
This is my FAVORITE pie recipe and so easy. I do add an extra couple of apples and more cinnamon.
Oct 30, 2016
Made this for a family dinner? It was easy and a big hit. I also used a pastry blender.
Oct 26, 2016
Wonderful! Used a pastry blender by hand to mix. Easy to cut recipe in half and make in a 8x8 or 7x10 pan.
Oct 4, 2016
I found this recipe easy to follow and make. Had some of my family over at the weekend and it was very well received by everyone. Definitely a recipe I will be making often.
Oct 14, 2015
Wonderful! I used a pastry blender instead of a food processor. Huge hit with the entire family