Apple Kuchen Bars
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, divided
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 2 cups flour and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add 1 cup butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs. Press mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake until edges are lightly browned, 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon over crust. Place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over apples. Bake until golden brown and apples are tender, 60-70 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 240 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 16, 2019
Excellent! Easy and used little ingredients. This is a keeper.
Nov 14, 2019
Love the recipe. I will make this again. I had random apples to use up so I mixed it up and mmm mmmmm good..
Nov 14, 2019
(my complete review didn't post??) Excellent recipe despite my big mistake in reading it. In trying to keep with my gluten free regimen I made my usual 3 Cups Flour Cream Cheese Pie crust not noticing the recipe calls for 1 Cup set aside for the topping......Soooo I pressed in 2 Cups on the bottom crust and cut the sugar (1/2 Cup Brown) and spices into the remaining cup of dough and added my usual 1/2 Cup nuts and prayed that my time hadn't been wasted. Well!! It came out great. The topping was like little crisp chewy cookies all melded in. I always use Honey Crisp Apples for baking. This recipe calls for lots of apples giving loads of apple flavor.
Jul 9, 2019
Yummy!! I use granny smith apples; but love to use golden delicious in harvest time. Reduce sugar to 1-1/2 cups if using golden delicious.
Jan 9, 2019
This is one of my family's favorite fall treats . . . or anytime of year! I follow the recipe exactly
Nov 15, 2018
I made this a couple weeks ago and it was delicious. I have a couple questions...can this be put together in advance and then baked on the day you need it? Also, can the bottom crust be mixed up and rolled out to use as regular pie dough, like for a pumpkin pie? The bottom crust was awesone!
Nov 13, 2018
I came across this dessert by accident, thinking this is what my great-grandmother use to make. It was not, however—This dessert was delicious! It has replaced our past go-to fall apple dessert. At first when baking just the crust I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, but the finished product was sweet and flavorful. When warm we served it with vanilla ice cream but was delicious cold, too. Fit nicely in a 9x13 pan, if needed for a crowd I would double it up—it goes a long way. This is a keeper!
Nov 8, 2017
THIS recipe is my new "go to" apple dessert. It's just as good as grandmas but it's a little more modernized for the busier lifestyle of today!!! Great base, very flakey crust, awesome apple middle!!! Plop some ice cream on it! It's simply just about brilliant. Great job to whomever won every state fair back in the day!! ??
Nov 6, 2017
Just Ok for me. I found the bottom crust to be too think for my liking.
Nov 8, 2016
This is my FAVORITE pie recipe and so easy. I do add an extra couple of apples and more cinnamon.