When my children were young, they loved this apple dessert—and they still do 45 years later! I like it served plain at room temperature, but it's hard to resist when served warm with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. —Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped salted roasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, bring syrup to a boil; cook 3-5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch; whisk in water until smooth. Whisk into reduced syrup. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter until blended. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar, almond flour and baking soda; cut in cold butter until crumbly. Reserve 1-1/3 cups mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Arrange apples over top; drizzle with syrup mixture.
- Stir almonds into reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over top. Bake 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 433 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as MAPLE LACED APPLE-ALMOND DESSERT SQUARES in Taste of Home September/October 2014