When my children were young, they loved this apple dessert—and they still do 45 years later! I like it served plain at room temperature, but it's hard to resist when served warm with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. —Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped salted roasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, bring syrup to a boil; cook 3-5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch; whisk in water until smooth. Whisk into reduced syrup. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter until blended. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar, almond flour and baking soda; cut in cold butter until crumbly. Reserve 1-1/3 cups mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Arrange apples over top; drizzle with syrup mixture.
- Stir almonds into reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over top. Bake 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 433 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as MAPLE LACED APPLE-ALMOND DESSERT SQUARES in Taste of Home September/October 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.