Red Apple Butter Bars
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups butter, melted
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups apple butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in butter. Reserve 1-1/3 cups crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle apples over crust; spread with apple butter. Stir walnuts into reserved topping; sprinkle over apple butter. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared apple butter.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 11, 2017
These apple butter bars were really good. I made the recipe as written and was very happy with the results. They are a great fall treat.
Nov 12, 2016
Delicious! My husband said it tasted like pie, but better because of the streusel. I used pumpkin butter instead of apple butter, as we had a large batch of TOH Pumpkin Butter - highly recommend that recipe, too! The pumpkin complemented the apples well. It worked just fine with homemade pumpkin butter (referring to note that it was tested with commercial type). I will make this with apple butter sometime too. The only tweak I will make in the future is to combine the apples with the pumpkin / apple butter and spread it on top of the crust. It was a little hard to spread it evenly on top of the apples.
Oct 4, 2016
These apple butter bars are delicious! My neighbor made them and I just had to submit a favorable review. She used 3 small apples instead of 2 medium size apples, but, other than that, followed the recipe exactly. I will be making them in the future ... they are truly a taste of Fall!