Red Apple Butter Bars
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups butter, melted
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups apple butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in butter. Reserve 1-1/3 cups crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle apples over crust; spread with apple butter. Stir walnuts into reserved topping; sprinkle over apple butter. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared apple butter.
Oct 28, 2019
Too much crumb and too much apple butter. I actually made the entire amount of "crumb" mixture, but wisely chose not to use but about half of it. Had I used it all, the crust would have been an inch thick, and the topping would have had some "soggy" crumb because it would have been covered by other "crumb." Also, the amount of filling should have been about half of what was called for. And, yes, I used a 13x9 baking dish. I mean, think about it: 3 cups of flour, 2 cups of oats, and 2 cups of brown sugar? That makes a heckuva lot of "crumb" mixture! Enough for two 13x9 dishes, I suspect! And with that much filling, well, just remember that apple butter has already been cooked, so it's not going to thicken or set up. It's a soft filling, and 1-1/2 cups of the stuff is about twice as much as these bars should have. I might make them again someday, but will make half the amount of crumb mixture and half the amount of filling. I can't believe this was "Test Kitchen Approved"!
Nov 11, 2017
These apple butter bars were really good. I made the recipe as written and was very happy with the results. They are a great fall treat.
Nov 12, 2016
Delicious! My husband said it tasted like pie, but better because of the streusel. I used pumpkin butter instead of apple butter, as we had a large batch of TOH Pumpkin Butter - highly recommend that recipe, too! The pumpkin complemented the apples well. It worked just fine with homemade pumpkin butter (referring to note that it was tested with commercial type). I will make this with apple butter sometime too. The only tweak I will make in the future is to combine the apples with the pumpkin / apple butter and spread it on top of the crust. It was a little hard to spread it evenly on top of the apples.
Oct 4, 2016
These apple butter bars are delicious! My neighbor made them and I just had to submit a favorable review. She used 3 small apples instead of 2 medium size apples, but, other than that, followed the recipe exactly. I will be making them in the future ... they are truly a taste of Fall!