Apple Streusel Bars
I made these delicious bars for a friend's birthday once and now he requests them every year! They have a tasty tartness with a cinnamony kick. Be sure to chop the apples into small cubes —if the apple pieces are too big the bars will fall apart. —Danielle Millwer, Tonawanda, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix flour, cracker crumbs, oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar and sugar. Stir in butter. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. pan. Bake until set, 8-10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix apples, spices and remaining brown sugar. Spread over crust; sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake until apples are tender, 30-35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Mix confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over top. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 149 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Feb 1, 2019
These were very good made as it. I always love the flavor and texture of nuts, so I think some chopped pecans would be a nice addition next time I made these. This is a perfect recipe for fall.