Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, applesauce and oil until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in raisins.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a glaze consistency. Spread over warm bars. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 166 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 3, 2016
Something is really wrong with this recipe as written. I could not get the ingredients to incorporate; the texture was similar to playdoh. After consulting another recipe I decided it was missing eggs and added two. Now it is passable, but I wouldn't make again.
Jun 28, 2015
These were disappointing. I followed the directions exactly but the bars came out gummy and very thin.