Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in applesauce. Pour into an 8-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 154 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 14, 2017
I made these with Brummell & Brown margarine (I was out of butter) and used 3T cocoa. I only had white chocolate chips so I used those on top and added pecans to the mix. They are delicious!
Apr 27, 2017
Jul 10, 2015
My husband and I really enjoyed these brownies! I followed julezh's advice and increased the cocoa to 1/4 cup...yum! I also substituted 1/8 cup Greek yogurt for half the butter and omitted the sugar and nuts in the topping (we're not big fans of nuts). These brownies are very cake-like, moist and delicious...I will definitely make them again!
Apr 13, 2015
These were very good. Finished the pan in no time. I did use light butter and it came out fine. Would call this a cake more than a brownie. Don't think the sugar in the topping was necessary.
Jul 10, 2014
My husband liked these flavorful, not overly sweet brownies. I did increase the cocoa to 1/4 cup on the first try which gives just a hint of chocolate, the cinnamon is subtle yet a delicious surprise. To save a few calories I used 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips and slightly less than 1/2 cup of chopped nuts and omitted the sugar in the topping. Will definitely double this in a jelly roll pan for larger crowds.