Peanut Butter Bars
I got this recipe when working as a school cafeteria manager years ago. These bars were so popular with kids that we'd have to make extra or we'd run out.—Sarah Thomas, Roanoke, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 12 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, in batches, cream the sugars, peanut butter and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into three greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown. cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 172 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Peanut Butter Bars in Taste of Home April/May 1995