I put three recipes together to make these great bars-they really satisfy the sweet tooth.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (10 ounces) butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, oats and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in chips and pecans. Reserve 2 cups. Spread remaining dough into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread evenly over crust. Crumble reserved dough over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 40-42 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 438 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Butterscotch Bars in 2000 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.