Apple Rhubarb Crumble
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a bowl, combine the rhubarb, apples, egg, sugar, syrup, nutmeg and cinnamon. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 457 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 1, 2015
This is fabulous! Let me say that I made a few small changes. Basically, I cut all the sweetener in half. Since we don't eat sugar, I used equal amounts stevia & xylitol to make a half cup worth of sweetener for the fruit, and I used Gala apples (not tart). For the sweetener in the crumble I used equal amounts honey & stevia to make 1/4 cup and I used equal amounts oat flour & old fashioned oats to equal 1 cup. Also used equal amounts coconut oil & butter to make the 1/2 cup in he crumble. I've experimented with many recipes to make them sugar free & this is a winner!
Apr 16, 2014
Wonderful! But then you cannot go wrong with sugar, fruit and flour and butter combined. I added some Asian pears into mine and doubled the apples because I had only maybe 1 1/2 cup of rhubarb.
May 25, 2012
My husband loves rubarb & this reminds me of my mom's delicious apple crisp recipe- a win-win! The only think I would change is to use all cinnamon and leave the nutmeg out. We like that flavor better.