English Rhubarb Crumble
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (2-1/2 cups sauce)
- 8 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup cold butter
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb and 3/4 cup sugar. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle over rhubarb. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and sugar; stir in cream. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture thickens, 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm over rhubarb crumble.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 550 calories, 33g fat (19g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
May 23, 2014
The sauce makes this an unusually good rhubarb crumble. Tastes great served with ice cream.
Apr 22, 2012
My family loved this! Most of them had seconds. It was easy to make, too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.