Rustic Pear Tart
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into a 14-in. circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, cherries and vanilla. Combine 3 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and ginger; sprinkle over pear mixture and stir gently to combine. Spoon over pastry to within 2 in. of edges; sprinkle with walnuts. Fold edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over folded pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Using parchment paper, slide tart onto a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 239 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 27, 2018
This was easy to make especially using refrigerated pie crust. I did not peel the pear as it did not say to in the recipe. The pears still turned out great. I used about 3 to 4 pears to make 4 cups. I made two and the pears really piled up in the middle. The flavor was good. The cherries were fine in the pastry though not my favorite. It wasn't runny but I didn't really see it bubble either. Due to the large amount of pears, I had to extend the cooking time a by 10 min. I think 4 cups is a little too much pear. I made this recipe as is with no changes.
Mar 9, 2018
I prepared this delicious tart tonight and it is a hands down winner. It is easy to prepare and before long we were enjoying a warm slice. I followed the recipe but had to substitute dried cranberries for the cherries. It was still delicious. It cooked for 35 minutes. I highly recommend this delicious dessert.Volunteer Field Editor