"This cake packs and travels well since the topping bakes down into it," says Liz Raether of Algoma, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat in egg until light and fluffy. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture; mix well. Fold in marshmallows and chips. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 250 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Snack Cake in Taste of Home April/May 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.