Peppermint Lava Cakes
It never ceases to amaze to see warm chocolate pudding ooze out of the center of this tender chocolate cake. These cakes are a showstopper on a plate! Serve lava cakes with whipped cream or ice cream. —Carolyn Crotser, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter for 30 seconds; stir until smooth. Whisk in confectioners' sugar, eggs, egg yolks and extract until blended. Fold in flour.
- Transfer to four generously greased 4-oz. ramekins. Bake on a baking sheet until a thermometer reads 160° and edges of cakes are set, 14-16 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Run a knife around sides of ramekins; invert onto dessert plates. Sprinkle with crushed candies. Serve immediately.
Editor’s Note: You may substitute 3/4 teaspoon orange extract and 1-1/2 teaspoons orange peel mixed with 1 tablespoon coarse sugar for the peppermint extract and peppermint candies.
Originally published as Peppermint Lava Cakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.