Contest-Winning Easy Oven Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours, or until the meat and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 230 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 401mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Jun 2, 2018
I have been making this stew since it first appeared in TOH. It is delicious and easy to make.
Dec 19, 2017
This stew was delicious and so easy to put together. I did use potatoes instead of parsnips. The flavor was great. Loved using the tapioca. When everything was cooked and tender, it was nice having the gravy made and incorporated into the stew. You really do have to stir it or it will stick to the pan as it thickens. Thanks for a great recipe.
Nov 24, 2016
Excellent dish no matter if you alter it to your family's taste or you stick to the recipe....this got rave reviews in my house...I too added potato,just out of personal preference.
Mar 10, 2014
Easy and good.
Jan 26, 2014
This was the first time I baked stew. It was delicious! I also added potatoes instead of parsnips. I added 2 cans of stewed tomatoes instead of one, and substituted a corn starch slurry for the tapioca. I don't like coffee, so I deleted the coffee granules. I used a prepared spaghetti seasoning in place of the individual seasonings. I was impressed at how tender the stew meat was.
Jan 22, 2014
This is our new best stew recipe!I used potatoes instead of parsnips, added brussels sprouts and mushrooms, and it was SO good. No need to add extra salt or anything.
Dec 9, 2013
This is one of the best stew recipes I have tried. I used an equal amount of parsnips and potatoes. It was delicious!
Oct 22, 2013
This is the BEST and EASIEST stew recipe ever! It turns out thick and hearty and is perfect for a snowy, cold day! I also substitute potatoes for parsnips because it is our personal preference. SO delicious!!
Mar 28, 2011
Taste wonderful and easy to make. I will make this many times again. Thank you.
Jan 2, 2011
This is the ONLY beef stew recipe we use!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.