Contest-Winning Mushroom Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2-1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled parsnips
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, onions, broth, wine, tomato sauce, parsnips, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and chili powder. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes, meat and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 2/3 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup gravy: 310 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Jan 29, 2015
I MIGHT try this again but I would change several things...cut back on the amount of broth (way too much liquid) and would use baby carrots and quartered red potatoes (I couldn't even find the chopped veggies in all the liquid!!!) and probably leave out the parsnips (didn't notice their flavors at all) Was not that impressed but am curious to try again with those changes.
Nov 1, 2014
Excellent receipt. Today I made it for dinner, but using my Redmond multicooker. It came out yummy, and it takes for me just an hour and half to make it, plus 10 min. to prepare ingredients. Multicooker is such a useful device.
Oct 31, 2014
This pot roast recipe is excellent. Because of what another reviewer wrote about too much liquid, I reduced the red wine to 1 cup. There was more than enough juice to make gravy. I also used a combination of dried shiitake mushrooms and portabellas. I used quartered carrots instead of chopping them and omitted the celery. I noticed the flavor of the sauce permeated the carrots so you don't taste the carrot flavor. My husband doesn't care for parsnips so I didn't use them, either. I cooked it on low in my slow cooker for 7.5 hours and it made the house smell wonderful. The roast itself was tender and flavorful. I will make this again.
Sep 25, 2012
This is a great recipe that I'm planning on doing again. The meat was tender and the taste was great! The only thing that I would try next time is to season the meat the night before with some Adobo OR a "sofrito" rub (peppers,onions,garlic,cilantro and salt).
Feb 4, 2012
I made this for a client and they loved it. Being able to put it in the Crock Pot was an added bonus.
Jan 9, 2012
Because I have a 3qt slow cooker I halved the recipe. No Problem.I was not sure about the parsnips, never having them before, but they absorbed the juices and seasoning and were very flavorful. Making the second half today.
Dec 29, 2011
This had excellent flavor, but I put it in the oven.
Nov 13, 2011
I thought this was very good. I didnt' have wine so I subbed extra beef broth and subbed the shitake mushrooms with regular mushrooms becausue of the expense. I thought it was good and would be even better with the wine and mushrooms.. Also, It made alot of gravy so I would think you really don't need as much liquid next time.
Nov 13, 2011
I thought this was very good. I didnt' have wine so I subbed extra beef broth but think it would have been even better with the wine. It made alot of gravy so I would think you really don't need as much liquid next time.
Oct 27, 2011
This recipe is FULL of flavor. All those vegetables cooked in the juices preserves all the wonderful nutrition. It will become a regular and favorite at our house.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.