Contest-Winning Garden Harvest Chili
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Saute garlic, peppers, mushrooms and onion until tender. Add tomatoes with liquid, tomato sauce, chili powder, sugar and cumin; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; add beans, zucchini and corn. Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Spoon into bowls; sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 252 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 675mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Feb 1, 2014
Very easy to put together and tasted great. Will definitely make again. I haven't gotten my husband fully on board with vegetarian meals so he threw a little hot dog in his serving and raved about how good it was.
Nov 19, 2011
My vegetarian daughters love this, and so do meat-lovers like my son and I! It's hearty and yummy-I plan to make it for Thanksgiving Eve to enjoy with the family!