Contest-Winning Watermelon Salsa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups seeded finely chopped watermelon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, onion, peppers and herbs. Drizzle with honey and lime juice; gently toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with chips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 22 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Jul 6, 2016
Change #1- I don't do cilantro. I am in the "tastes like soap" camp. I used parsley instead. The other two changes were minor- yellow bell pepper for the red, and little baby cucumbers that I left the peels on. Easy, delicious and a wonderful change from traditional salsa, thank you so much to Carolyn B for sharing the recipe!
Jun 20, 2010
Very different and refreshing. I will make this again!
Jun 19, 2010
I had such high hopes for this recipe because I LOVE fruit/salsa.... unfortunately, it was just missing something and I was NOT a fan... even more unfortunate... not anyone at the party I took it to was a fan either.... it's a good thing I had brought other apps! Won't make this again...
Feb 9, 2010
Very crisp and refreshing! My entire family just loved this salsa. Would definitely make over and over again.
Jun 9, 2009
Took it to a wine festival to share for a picnic lunch. It got rave reviews. I used the leftovers to put on grilled tilapia a couple of evenings later...delish!
Oct 10, 2008
A great new way to use watermelon! I thought it seemed strange while I was making it, but tasted great and got lots of compliments. Will surely make again.
Sep 22, 2008
SO GOOD! It was a nice change for our family cookout.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.