Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 45 min. + chilling
- 5 cups shredded zucchini (about 5 medium)
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, nutmeg and turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with your favorite snack chips or grilled meats. Freeze option: Freeze cooled salsa in freezer containers. To use, thaw completely in refrigerator.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 35 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 12, 2017
This made a lot of salsa! We had it on hot dogs and with tortilla chips. Great flavor!
Sep 7, 2015
This is a great salsa! It has a sweet sour flavor which works great for chips hot dogs, and any recipe that requires salsa. I canned my salsa as I do not have freezer space and it canned beautifully!
Sep 1, 2013
This is great on gilled hot dogs. Has a great flavor but more like a relish than a salsa (okay with me!). Can't wait to try it on some sausages. Awesome way to use up extra zucchini from the garden. It does make a lot so I froze it and now will have for many things in the future. Will definitely keep this near the top of my "go to" list.
Jun 29, 2009
This is a most delicious salsa. My family and friends love it. I plan to make lots more in the future. Was excellent as a side dish, dip and on hot dogs.gypsymal
Aug 30, 2008
This was so easy... My family loved it. I am planning to make more, the only problem it makes so much my family can't eat it all. Thought I would try canning or freezing so we can have some all winter long.
Aug 12, 2008
This was very easy to make. I didn't use hot peppers (don't like hot salsa) and I found it to be a little too sweet for my taste. I might try it again with different types of tomatoes (I used Big Boys). I also only tried it with tortilla chips as a dip. I plan to try it on a hotdog tonight, so maybe my rating will go way up after that.