Contest-Winning Pepperoni Pizza Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (12 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni, halved
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the salsa, beans, pizza sauce, pepperoni, water, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle servings with cheese. Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool chili. Freeze chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup chili with 1/4 cup cheese: 464 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1240mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein.
Feb 3, 2018
Really Good! I just didn’t do the “hot” , and I threw it all in the crockpot....will definitely be making it again. Everyone really liked it.
Sep 19, 2017
Very good. Best Chili recipe I've made so far. Cut up the pepperoni slices. Omitted the salt . Salty enough without it.
Jul 17, 2017
This was a very good chili, though I omit the sausage.
Mar 26, 2017
This was really good! So much flavor and easy to make too! This is going to be our new chili recipe!
Mar 9, 2017
I made this for the chili cook-off at work and it won first place! I bought an 8 oz. hunk of pepperoni from the deli and diced it up. Much preferred the texture of cubed pepperoni in place of slices. I did not find this chili to be overly greasy at all and did not precook the pepperoni or drain the sausage. I think the bit of grease in the pan is a big part of the flavor as everything cooks together. Made it on a Sunday and stuck it in the fridge for two days to let the flavors meld. I heated it back up in a crock pot on high for 3 hours. I added generous amounts of black pepper for extra flavor and spice. Topped it with mozzarella. Definitely a winner!
Jan 5, 2017
This was easy and delicious. I left out the salt and was still very good.
Nov 7, 2016
Delicious chili recipe. I used mild Italian sausage instead of hot. My wife and daughter (who aren't big on spice) still found it quite spicy.
Sep 12, 2016
Even my husband who usually doesn't care for chili loves this recipe! You can't beat pepperoni pizza flavor in a thick, hearty soup in the wintertime! The only change I make is to use my homemade pizza sauce ingredients instead of the pizza sauce called for. Delicious!
Sep 10, 2016
I made this chili for a contest and won 3rd place. I did make a few changes based on the reviews. I had doubled the recipe but didn't double the ground beef and it was still a meaty chili. I found mini pepperoni slices which didn't require cutting and I heated them up in a paper towel lined pie plate and blotted off the excess grease. I also cooked it in a crock pot and added a layer of mozzarella cheese on top to melt and become ooey gooey cheesy goodness. Very good chili I will definitely make again.
Apr 14, 2016
I cooked the 3lbs of meat, but only used about 1/2 of it. And I still added another can of spaghetti sauce because it was nice, but *very* meaty! Everyone put pepperoni and cheese on top of their own bowl and it was a hit!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.