Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, red pepper, water, celery, broth, chili powder, Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic and salt.
- Drain beef mixture; add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans, mushrooms, zucchini and parsley. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 316 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 947mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 13, 2015
I made this chili for a chili cook off at work and won "Most Unusual Ingredient". I got lots of compliments and I absolutely loved it. I only made one change and took out the sugar. I'm just not a fan of any sweetness in my entrees.
Oct 6, 2012
Most excellent! I used green pepper and lots of my own Italian spices- basil, oregano, thyme, and just a pinch of sage, fennel and nutmeg. Used ground buffalo- much leaner, and added a can of chick peas.
Mar 12, 2010
Very good recipe! I ended up cooking my vegetables on high a little closer to an hour or so until they were tender.
Feb 2, 2010
I used ground turkey and Italian turkey sausage to make it healthy. It turned out really good.