Italian Hot Dish
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked multigrain bow tie pasta (about 4 ounces)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and crumble beef with 1/2 cup mushrooms, onion and green pepper over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in seasonings and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Place pasta in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with meat sauce and remaining mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 394 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 19, 2018
Nice but not enough spice for this New England family. Perhaps a bit small but we did enjoy it. I will tweek.
Feb 19, 2018
I thought this dish was really good. It was simple to make it, although it took a little longer than I expected. I mixed the pasta and sauce together and stirred some of the cheese in. I love cheese so I added some extra.
Feb 4, 2018
I tried this recipe again, instead of having the pasta at the bottom. i mixed it with the meat and sauce. added extra cheese and mushrooms. much better. this is a great recipe, but more bland than how I make my other pasta dishes. The serving size was perfect for two people. I will make this again but add a little kick
Nov 28, 2017
I thought that this was tasteless. It needs something to kick it up a notch for sure. My husband didn't like it at all.
Oct 30, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
Not bad. It is a little bland. Next time I am going to try italian sausage
Oct 4, 2016
I've been making this recipe for many years. I got it from Taste of Home magazine years ago. It's still a favorite in our home. Everyone loves it!
Jul 19, 2015
Very easy to make, but I think I will add some sun-dried tomatoes to my next batch to increase the flavor a bit.
Sep 25, 2013
I love this dish idea. I change almost every recipe so I do Italian seasoned ground turkey (that way you actually don't need to add spices and it's got lots of flavor) I add minced garlic when browning the turkey and veggies. I also use a whole bag of mozzarella cheese on top and I only bake for like 25 minutes and then take the lid off for 10 more minutes. I also over cook so all the ingredients are doubled in my bake. But everyone in my house loves this dish!!!
Feb 12, 2013
kids liked it more than I did. a bit bland