Italian Chicken Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-3/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Shredded Italian cheese blend, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage in oil over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chicken, tomatoes, beans, celery, onion, red pepper, wine or broth, chili powder, oregano, garlic and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in the zucchini and mushrooms. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 243 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 8, 2011
We made this to use up our leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I put it all together and sampled it, but it was a bit bland. We added some cumin, some coriander, 2 bay leaves and some red pepper flakes. After those modifications, it was great!