Italian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, onion, wine, salt, basil, oregano, garlic and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve with meat.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef: 345 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Dec 26, 2019
Although I didn't follow the recipe's cooking instructions, it was delicious as I made it. Ninja 3-n-1 cooker: I used 2 lbs. beef tenderloin tips, coated with 2 T. flour, degassed with 1/2 cup wine, upped the spices and added beef broth as needed for the consistency I desired. Served over spaghetti--wow! It only made 5 servings. I wish I had doubled my version.
Dec 15, 2019
I doubled the recipe for a big family dinner. No leftovers. Everyone enjoyed it. It made a fantastic gravy! I did add one envelope of dried onion soup mix to the crockpot.
Jan 23, 2015
I will make this dish again and again. I really enjoyed the flavors.
Sep 24, 2014
Wasn't as good as I had hoped. I would def add more garlic and spices
May 8, 2012
It was ok
May 1, 2012
Not as expected. Disapointing bland flavor.
Apr 22, 2012
This was great!! A keeper in our family!
Mar 27, 2012
very good flavor....too many tomatoes, maybe just use a 15 oz. can....good subtle flavor from oregano and basil...i minced 4 garlic cloves and used 1 beef bouillion cube for the broth...reduced the salt to 1 tsp....served with mashed potatoes...very tasty.
Mar 27, 2012
This was done for me after 3.5 hours (my cooker runs hot, even on "low"). Very good. The gravy was really good on the meat and my mashed potatoes! Next time, I'll add quartered mushrooms to the tomato mixture or gravy b/c we're big on 'shrooms. But sure, I'd make this again...and I don't even like pot roast! I couldn't find the wine, so I used beef broth, and that was no problem. While this was cooking, the house smelled yummy.
Mar 22, 2012
just made this roast today,my husband loved it.very good!