Saucy Italian Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
- Hot cooked pasta
- Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over roast. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with mushrooms and onion. Combine the spaghetti sauce and wine; pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Slice roast; serve with pasta and pan juices.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef (calculated without pasta): 218 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
May 28, 2018
I have started dredging all my roasts in a bit of flour & seasoning and then browning in olive oil -- definitely helps in keep the meat moist! I'm waiting to see how this all pans out -- a different way to cook a pot-roast! Using fresh mushrooms -- had some which needed to be used; and store brand spaghetti sauce with mushrooms; and minced garlic!
Dec 11, 2017
Loved this roast!! So easy! Put it over spaghetti squash for family members watching their carbs and egg noodles for those who aren't. Everyone loved it!!
Jul 29, 2017
Easy, with simple ingredients, and leftovers (if there are any) are great, too!
Jan 16, 2017
I've made this 3 times. It's a meal guys really tuck into--girls too, by the way! Not the same old roast with carrots and potatoes--something a bit unexpected.
Jul 2, 2016
I tried it today. Pretty good but still can't figure out why the beef is dry. Any ideas?
Mar 29, 2016
Loved loved loved it! You had me at spaghetti sauce. I served it with red wine. Soooo good! Will make again.
Oct 26, 2014
This is a delicious meal to cook in the slow cooker. The roast was delicious. We will definitely have this again. So easy and so good. I highly recommend this as a Volunteer Field Editor.
Nov 15, 2013
I thought this was tasty, but my husband was not so enthusiastic. Maybe it was the type of spaghetti sauce I used.
Sep 19, 2013
This was surprisingly good! I used a chuck roast and shredded it, the red wine added a very nice flavor. Sauce was a little thin.
Jan 27, 2013
Delicious and so easy. This will become a regular at our house.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.