Top-Rated Italian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry sherry or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked egg noodles and minced parsley, optional
- Place cinnamon stick, peppercorns, cloves and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides; transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add celery, carrots and spice bag.
- Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until liquid is reduced to 2/3 cup. Stir in tomatoes and salt; pour over roast and vegetables.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-7 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove roast from slow cooker; keep warm. Discard spice bag; skim fat from sauce. Serve roast and sauce with noodles and parsley if desired.
- Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast in freezer containers; top with sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef with 2/3 cup sauce (calculated without noodles): 251 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Nov 6, 2015
Not that great. Not worth the money for a bottle of sherry. I have several recipes that are better than this. One is "Saucy Italian Roast" done in a crock pot. Check it out. It is on this site.
Sep 3, 2011
I loved the flavor of this dish. I used a tip from another reviewer and put my spices in a coffee filter tied with dental floss. I used Marsala wine for the sherry and used whole grain pasta. Everyone loved it!
Oct 12, 2010
My husband actually said he liked this pot roast 4 times during dinner last night!I didn't have any cheese cloth for the spice packet, so I used a coffee filter tied with dental floss. I was also out of plain crushed tomatoes, so I substituted cans of tomatoes containing green chilies. It added just a little extra kick, which my family likes.I served it over egg noodles and think it might be good over rice too. We had Taste of Home's Taste-of-Fall-Salad with the meal, and everyone was wondering if we were celebrating a special occasion they had forgotten about.
Nov 20, 2009
Wonderful depth of flavor with little effort. I used a 3 pound chuck tender roast and cooked it on low in the crock pot for 7 hours. It was even better the day after.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.