Special Slow-Cooked Beef
This hearty entree is easy to prepare for Sunday dinner. While the beef is slow cooking, the cook has lots of time to attend to the other details. With mashed potatoes on the side, it’s comfort food for the cool months ahead. —Juli George, Grandville, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup fresh pearl onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and garlic; top with olives and tomatoes. Add broth and onions. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- With a slotted spoon, remove beef and onions to a serving platter and keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over beef mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 332 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 551mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Special Pot Roast in Reminisce December/January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.