Slow-Cooked Beef Enchiladas
Enchiladas get a beefy boost of goodness from slow-cooked roast. When the meat is done, assemble with tortillas and bake. Top with lettuce and tomatoes if desired. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7-1/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- Chopped lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- Rub roast with taco seasoning. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion and broth. Cook, covered, on low 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking juices in a saucepan; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Shred beef with two forks; return to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and cold water until smooth; add to saucepan. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into meat mixture.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture off center on each tortilla; top with chilies and 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, seam side down. Top with enchilada sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, top with chopped lettuce and tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 enchilada: 551 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 1388mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein.
Originally published as Beef Burritos in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.