Slow-Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hrs.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 medium bell peppers
- Minced fresh cilantro, green onions and sour cream
- In a bowl, combine chicken, rice, enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup cheese, red onion and cumin.
- Pour water into a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. Fill with chicken mixture; place in slow cooker. Cover slow cooker with a double layer of white paper towels; place lid securely over towels. Cook on low, until tender, 3-4 hours. During the last 20 minutes, remove and discard paper towels; add remaining cheese and cook, covered until melted. Serve with sour cream, cilantro and green onions.
Health tip: Consider switching to ready-to-serve brown rice. It has nearly six times the fiber as white rice.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed pepper: 267 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 23, 2019
Not good. Maybe it’s me. My wife makes best stuffed peppers...Italian style not Mexican style. She uses chopped meat, rice and tomato sauce. This one taste flat...I agree with others that needs some more spice.
Nov 21, 2018
Overall this is a good stuffed pepper recipe and great use of leftover chicken. Some adjustments are needed in regards to flavor. A few more seasonings are required to make it less bland. Chili powder may be a good addition.
Nov 17, 2018
This is a good recipe, but I used some rotisserie chicken after reading the review. Also added a little salt since chicken is pretty bland with out it.
Oct 29, 2018
I made this according to the directions and found it to be just OK. It was rather blah tasting and needed some salt and spice to improve the taste.