Mexican-Style Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canned chopped green chilies
- 1-1/4 cups salsa, divided
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 6 medium sweet red or green peppers
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion and celery over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in seasonings, green chilies, 1 cup salsa and rice.
- Cut off and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. Fill peppers with beef mixture. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add water to dish.
- Bake, covered, until peppers are tender and filling is heated through, 45-50 minutes. Top peppers with remaining salsa and cheese. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes.
Oct 10, 2016
These were very good - I took a short cut and made a boxed spanish rice instead of the onion, celery & rice. Easy and tasty!!
Sep 25, 2016
So good! I used ground chicken and beans instead of rice. We really enjoyed this meal. I will definitely make this again.
Jun 17, 2015
excellent!substituted black beans for rice.
Apr 27, 2014
This was really good! Everyone liked it
Jun 11, 2013
I only changed one thing, I used spaghetti squash instead of the rice...my husband is diabetic so I limit his carbs, got to say it was a hit with the entire family.
Jul 30, 2012
I was trying to find a Stuffed Pepper recipe that my husband would eat and this is it. Thanks for the great recipe that is healthy!
Jan 7, 2012
this recipe was great or as my husband put it--"killer"!! we use ground venison instead of beef and hubby requested corn in meat mixture--I also used some tomato juice in pan instead of water--loved it!!!
Jun 14, 2011
This was my first time ever making stuffed peppers, and they turned out awesome. The only thing that I would recommend is that if you like your peppers to have a little more crunch do not boil them and take them out a little early.
Feb 24, 2010
Absolutely loved it! I've made it a few times now - the best stuffed peppers I've ever made!
Jan 21, 2010
My family loved this recipe but we love mexican. The only modification I made was I put extra green chilies and a little less rice. Also great with out the peppers as a casserole.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.