Classic Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 medium green peppers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound uncooked lean ground beef
- Cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. In a large saucepan, cook peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce, rice, onion, salt, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well. Stuff into peppers. Place in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over peppers. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 375 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 987mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Oct 19, 2017
These were all right, but a little bland for me. I might try the chili sauce suggestion.
Apr 10, 2011
Yum! These turned out just like my mother's stuffed peppers! We'll be making these again!~ Theresa
Feb 9, 2010
I love this recipe and have made it many times, especially when I need something that makes just 2 servings. When I tell my husband we are having stuffed green peppers he always hopes it's this recipe!
Jun 2, 2009
we use this recipe often for stuffed peppers. The only change we make is that we use bottled chili sauce in place of the spaghetti sauce. Frequently we double the recipe and freeze the other two for later.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.