Southwest Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups chopped seeded tomatoes, divided
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 4 medium green peppers
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 grape tomatoes, halved, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in 1/2 cup tomatoes, chili powder, cornstarch, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut green peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place in an ungreased shallow 3-qt. microwave-safe dish; add remaining water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain; fill each pepper half with 1/3 cup beef mixture.
- Top with the remaining tomatoes. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, green onions and grape tomatoes if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed pepper halves: 278 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 14, 2018
This was really tasty. My husband isn’t typically a fan of stuffed peppers, but he like this one a lot. I love stuffed peppers, so this will be added to our usual rotation
Oct 6, 2018
I'm not a big fan of green peppers, but I'll eat orange, red and yellow ones all day, so that's what I used. The beef mixture comes together really quickly, and it froze great too. I plan on adding some black beans to the next batch. This was a great main dish meal, and would also make great appetizers if made in the mini/baby bell peppers that are available now.
Aug 10, 2012
This was very tasty and easy to make! I would do all your dicing first though. Next time I will try adding black beans or refried black beans. Definitely worth trying this recipe!
May 18, 2011
May 9, 2011
What a nice change for stuffed peppers...I think we actually preferred stuffed peppers this way than the traditional way...I didn't have fresh tomatoes on hand so I used canned diced tomatoes & that worked well...I will definitely be making this again (especially since it was a hit with my husband too!)
May 6, 2011
Based on Liz's review, I substituted a can of Mild RoTel diced tomatoes & green chilies for the fresh tomatoes. It really "kicked it up a notch"! I also added some leftover Spanish rice; instead of the garnishes recommended, I sprinkled grated Mexican cheese combo on top and microwaved for approx. 30 sec. to melt. It was very yummy and I will make it again ~ as modified ~.
May 5, 2011
These werent too bad, needs something...cant put my finger on it. We did enjoy them, however Im not sure if I would make them again.