Summer Stuffed Peppers
Growing up and living in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, we've always had fresh vegetables from the garden, and this recipe allows me to use many of them. These stuffed peppers are equally perfect for lunch or dinner.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 8 medium yellow, green or sweet red peppers
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Pepper to taste
- Cut the tops off peppers and reserve. Cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from water and rinse with cold water; set aside. Remove stems from pepper tops and chop enough of the tops to measure 1/3 cup. (Save remaining peppers for another use.)
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat; drain if necessary. Add the onion, cabbage, carrot, zucchini and reserved chopped peppers; saute until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, rice, brown sugar, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stuff hot meat mixture into peppers; warm in the microwave if necessary. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 315 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Summer Stuffed Peppers in Country June/July 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.