Kentucky Stuffed Peppers
I learned to cook by helping my mother prepare fabulous meals in our large country kitchen after church. The things I like to make most use the fresh vegetables and fruits from our garden.—Lucille Terry, Frankfort, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 large sweet red and/or yellow peppers
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place peppers upside down on paper towels; set aside.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving the juice; set tomatoes and juice aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the rice, mushrooms, ham, sugar, hot pepper sauce and reserved tomatoes; mix well. Loosely spoon into peppers.
- Place in an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Pour reserved tomato juice over peppers. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 375 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein.
Apr 9, 2013
Very nice summer recipe. Thank you for sharing!
Apr 27, 2011
Love, Love , Love this recipe -- It is my go to leftover ham recipe.... sometimes its my go buy ham to make this recipe...
May 29, 2010
very good and easy to make