Southwest Stuffed Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 2-inch x 1/2-inch sticks
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Flatten chicken to /18-in. thickness. Place a cheese stick down the middle of each; top with chilies. Roll up and tuck in ends. Secure with a toothpick.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, chili powder, salt and cumin. Place flour in another shallow bowl. Place butter in a third shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in butter and roll in crumb mixture.
- Place roll-ups, seam side down, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Discard toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 482 calories, 29g fat (16g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Feb 25, 2016
I have been making this for a couple of years now and always a crowd pleaser. My husband will request this at least Twice a month. I do not use the flour though. I also like to add extra chilis in the casserole dish with chunks of cheese to be melted.
Apr 5, 2012
This turned out really delicious. The coating was the star. The whole time I was pounding the chicken I was saying under my breath I hope my family doesn't like it. My chicken breast were very plump, I even used my cast iron pan to flatten them! Well, my family loved them so in the recipe box it goes...
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.