Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers
The bounty of peppers found at your local farmers market in the early fall, combined with some standard Greek ingredients, create a dish that bursts with color and fresh flavor. —Renee Murby, Johnston, Rhode Island
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 each medium sweet yellow, orange, red and green peppers
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, divided
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup Greek olives, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add fennel and onion; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add spinach and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Cool slightly.
- Cut and reserve tops from peppers; remove seeds. Pour 1 cup crushed tomatoes into bottom of a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; add fennel mixture. Spoon mixture into peppers; place in slow cooker. Pour remaining crushed tomatoes over peppers; replace pepper tops. Cook, covered, on low until peppers are tender, 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours. If desired, serve with additional feta and chopped parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed pepper: 313 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 684mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Greek Stuffed Peppers in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019