Slow Cooker Turkey Stuffed Peppers
I created this as a healthier alternative to traditional stuffed peppers. I work 12-hour shifts as a nurse, so I often rely on the slow cooker for feeding my family. —Mandy Pemberton, Denham Springs, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 medium sweet yellow or orange peppers
- 2 medium sweet red peppers
- 2 medium green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 jar (16 ounces) spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cut tops from peppers and remove seeds. Finely chop enough tops to measure 1 cup for filling.
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, onion and reserved chopped peppers over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in zucchini; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add rice, 2/3 cup spaghetti sauce, Creole seasoning and pepper.
- Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce onto the bottom of a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Fill peppers with turkey mixture; place over sauce. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over peppers; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through.
Nutrition Facts: 1 stuffed pepper equals 290 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 818 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed pepper: 290 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Stuffed Bell Peppers in The Simple & Delicious Cookbook RTL 2016