Slow-Cooked Stuffed Pepper Stew
This is my go-to pepper stew. When my garden yields green peppers, I dice and freeze them for those cold, blustery days to come.—Debbie Johnson, Centertown, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef base
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain.
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine sausage mixture, green peppers, brown sugar, beef base, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, tomatoes and tomato juice. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 4-5 hours.
- Stir in rice. Cook, covered, until rice is tender, 15-20 minutes longer.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Editor's NoteLook for beef base near the broth and bouillon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 327 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1637mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Pepper Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.