Slow-Cooked Mexican Beef Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound beef stew meat (1-1/4-inch pieces)
- 3/4 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups frozen corn (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Sour cream and tortilla chips, optional
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine first 12 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours. If desired, serve with sour cream and chips.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 218 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
May 16, 2018
Husband and son loved this. Added a can of organic black beans and 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, did not use the red pepper. Will make again.
Feb 24, 2018
This was not as flavorful as I was expecting, based on other reviews. I think some cilantro and a twist of lime might help.
Jan 8, 2018
This soup has excellent flavor. I made mine without the beef/meat, it probably would have been better if it had been added but for an all veggie soup, YUM! It was quite spicy (I will omit the crushed red pepper flakes next time) and I felt like it was missing just a little tiny something so I added a pinch of 'McCormick Perfect Pinch Vegetable Seasoning' which added a very subtle sweet flavor to it that I felt made it just right :)
Sep 9, 2017
This was very good! The tomatoes and chilies gave it a kick (I left out the red pepper flakes at my husband's request). I forgot to put it in the slow cooker, so I used the pressure cooker instead. Still turned out great! I used baby carrots instead of cutting them. I also served it with corn bread. We had plenty for lunch the next day, too! I'll be making this one again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.