Slow-Cooked Beef Burritos with Green Chiles
I created this recipe years ago, and it has become such a favorite that the wonderful aroma of it cooking makes my family instantly happy. It is hearty, flavorful and easy to prepare, and uses the long, slow cook time that truly defines comfort food. —Sally Pahler, Palisade, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cans (7 ounces each) whole green chiles, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 14 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, sliced ripe olives
- Combine garlic, salt, cumin and cayenne; rub over roast. Place in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, chiles and onion. Cook, covered, on low 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; discard the cooking juices. Return beef and vegetables to slow cooker and heat through. Serve in tortillas, with toppings as desired.
Test Kitchen tips